Friday, September 13, 2013

Putting your Best Face Forward: Creating the Masterpiece

By this time you should have already read Part 1 and Part 2 of this blog series. You should have an idea of the type of foundation that will work best for your skin type. I am sure many of you are sitting with it in hand as you read this blog post wondering what to do next. The next step to creating your beautiful flawless professional look is to get the right tools. Having a great foundation is one thing, but knowing how to apply it is crucial to create a flawless look.

I use a variety of tools to apply my foundation and my tool of choice is dependent on the temperature outside, the type of foundation I am using, and the type of finish I want.

Tool number 1: My Fingers!
Yes, my trusty fingers. I utilize my fingers a lot during the summer time to apply tinted moisturizers and sheer foundations. The heat generated from your body helps liquid and cream foundations to blend seamlessly into your skin. This can get a bit messy so make sure you keep some makeup wipes near your vanity so that you do not get foundation all over yourself. Also be sure that your fingers are CLEAN. My favorite method to apply foundation to my face with my fingers is to put small dots of foundation all over my face and blend it in an upward motion utilizing my fingers. This will create pretty shear coverage so if you are looking for a fuller coverage I would recommend you utilize another tool.

Tool number 2: A Sponge
Sponges are great to use and will give you a nice amount of control over your product. They provide pretty sheer to medium sheer coverage and also absorb some of your product, so I personally refrain from using sponges often. To use a sponge correctly, you want to dab it into the foundation and lightly blot it over your skin. Do not sweep the sponge across your face as you will create streaks. You want to bump or press it all over your skin in order to create a seamless look. My favorite way to use a sponge is to dampen it with water and squeeze the excess water out of it. Next, I dab it into my foundation to pick up the product and apply. By dampening the sponge, I create a dewy look to my skin which is perfect for those days when I am going for a "my skin but better" look.

Tool number 3: A Makeup Brush
My tried and true tool to apply my foundation is a makeup brush. I use brushes on an everyday basis to apply my foundation as I much prefer a medium to full coverage look and brushes provide me with the opportunity to deposit more pigment onto my skin evenly. For liquid foundations, you want to use a brush with synthetic fibers as they do not absorb as much product, and you want to make sure the brush has a tapered tip as this will allow you to deposit product around the curves of your face. For powder foundations, you want to use a thick fluffy brush with natural fibers as natural fibers will soak up some of the powder preventing you from applying too much on your face and creating that ghostlike look. When applying using either type of brush, be sure that after you pick up product you tap off the excess product ever so lightly...this will help you to control how much product you are depositing on your face. Too much liquid product on a brush can cause you to leave brushstrokes on your face...so start off with a little and apply more as needed.

I know this is a lot of information, but I hope it is helpful. Below are some of my favorite sponges and brushes to use to apply foundation. Until next time, Stay Pretty :)

 
Favorite tools for foundation application
 
Sponge: Beauty Blender
Sponge: Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge
Brush for liquid foundation: Real Techniques Expert Face Brush
Brush for liquid foundation: MAC 187 brush
Brush for liquid foundation: MAC 190
Brush for liquid foundation: Sigma Flat Top Synthetic Kabuki – F80
Brush for liquid foundation: ELF studio powder brush
Brush for powder foundations: Ecotools buffing brush
Brush for powder foundation: ELF studio powder brush
Brush for powder foundations: Any quality Kabuki brush

No comments:

Post a Comment