Monday, April 25, 2011

Make Happy A Habit


Everywhere I turn I am bombarded with this idea of being happy.


During a Professional Staff Meeting last week, one of my colleagues presented on Positive Psychology and the importance of happiness and how being happy affects our work. Although I was intrigued by the presentation, I will admit that I have not thought much about it after that day. Well, that is until today while perusing Facebook.

A friend of mines posted a Facebook status where he challenged his friends and associates to join him on a movement: The Make Happy a Habit Movement.

I am a sucker for a catchy theme and/or phrase and I immediately jumped on the bandwagon. The first thing I did was tweet to all my followers about the new movement encouraging them to hop on the bandwagon as well.


Now as I sit here and think about this movement and this phrase, the following question continues to come across my mind: What does being happy really mean?


I am sure that I could easily Google the definitions of the words happy and happiness but I am looking for something deeper than what Webster says. I want to know the true meaning behind the word happy.


As I sit and think about all the times that I have heard people talk about being happy I can safely say that some people associate happiness with a sense of enjoyment and/or contentment. Other people may associate happiness with things. As we think about this notion of making happy a habit we must first define what being happy truly means for us. Once you have defined your own definition of happiness then you can go on to work to make a happy a habit in your life.


What does happiness mean to me? Happiness is an inward emotion. I must be able to look in the mirror and smile at the person I see staring at me. If I can do that, then I am happy. Happiness in my opinion is not something that I can find outside of myself. Yes, things in the world can impact my happiness but they cannot give me happiness.


When I am happy that does not mean that everything in my life is perfect and peachy keen. It simply means that I have decided to look beyond the imperfections in my life and see all the good.


As we begin to embark on one of the biggest times of the year for us in Student Affairs I want you to embrace this notion of Making Happy a Habit. Determine what true happiness really means to you, what you need to do to get there, and start making it happen.


“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've
decided to look beyond the imperfections.” ~Author Unknown


#makehappyahabit
Follow me on twitter @BDeniseCole



No comments:

Post a Comment