Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How will you Change the World?

It’s student staff appreciation week and with that comes all the warm fuzzy feelings, thoughts, gifts, and expressions of love and appreciation that all of us supervisors can muster up for our staffs. If you have taken the True Colors assessment, you can accurately deem this week a “Blue” Week.

Yesterday during our Student Staff Appreciation Bonfire I handed out bookmarks to my Resident Assistants with inspirational quotes on them uniquely chosen to reflect their experiences and encourage their future journey. One of my staff members received a quote that he himself came up with a few alterations made by me.


“Everyday you wake up, make sure you change the world”

I remember the first time I heard him utter the phrase. He was on his way out of my office after a very humorous impromptu 1:1 meeting and the last leg of our conversation went something like this:


Me: Go out and change the world
Him: Bobbie, every day I wake up I change the world.

Although I know he meant that as a joke, I can’t help but see it as motivation for everyone and a theme for life. Could you imagine how different your days would look if you woke up with that mentality? I am sure that you would feel like you had an invisible cape on as you flew out of bed and floated to work every single day. I can imagine the passion and enthusiasm that you would put into your conduct meetings, your weekly reports, your programming initiatives, and your 1:1 time with your staff. Everything you do would be done with intention, enthusiasm, and purpose.

So I ask you, why not start now? Why not wake up every day with the notion that you are going to change the world? Do you think your actions are too small to change the world? Think of yourself as an Ant. Ants thrive on community to spark change. In order to build their homes each little Ant has to bring over soil, crumb by crumb, until the finished product is complete. The same goes for us as people, each person has to contribute to the greater cause in order to spark change. Not one person will be the change, it will take all people working together.

So what is your contribution? What will be your crumb of soil that you bring to help build the home?

Tomorrow when you wake up in the morning remind yourself that you are
changing the world with every step, word, and action.


"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do." ~Edward Everett Hale

"Nobody can do everything, but everyone can do something." ~Author Unknown

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~Ghandi



1 comment:

  1. Every day I wake up, I change the world. What a powerful statement! Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete